Myridian's Reviews > Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson

Sexual Personae by Camille Paglia

Mar 22, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: psychology, sociopolitical, sex, nonfiction
Read in May, 2005

This book was horrible. Paglia's worldview is bizarrely Freudian. Paglia writes only the loosest and most unsatisfactory of evidence for any of her assertions. She ignores the lack of evidence for the majority of psychodynamic theory in general and for the "family romance" in particular. When you ignore empirical evidence all you have left is what resonates for you personally, which Freudian theory does not. Though she even picks through psychodynamic theory. The book makes me want to shake her. Paglia writes well, but the danger of her compelling prose is that people may believe her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sexual Personae.

Mohamad Hasan which part are you talking about...you can't just throw bunch of words and gave it one star, oh how much of the book you honestly have read?

Myridian I did actually read the book in its entirety though it was over 10 years ago now and my memory of which bits were particularly annoying is limited :-p

Mohamad Hasan Myridian wrote: "I did actually read the book in its entirety though it was over 10 years ago now and my memory of which bits were particularly annoying is limited :-p"

Hmmm, the whole thing is annoying for the most part.