Julie's Reviews > The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey

F 50x66
Jul 19, 2011

liked it
Read from July 11 to 16, 2011

I was surprised that I did not like this book more, since I loved the movie. But it's just too boring in places. He does not tie one journey to another, so each chapter seems like it's a random anecdote with no context. I also was bothered by the many times racist views were expressed toward certain peoples at the same time Ernesto was calling for tolerance of others. He seemed like a big hypocrite, although obviously this was a very different time as far as race relations. I also thought the way he relied on everybody else to take care of him and Alberto was really selfish and lazy, especially when he was interacting with people who had little to no money. Sure, abuse the rich, but don't take from the poor. Anyway, I was surprised that I did not really like Ernesto after reading this book, but there are some interesting accounts of indigenous people of Latin America that I have not read anywhere else. And obviously I plugged on through and finished it, but I think if I had not been stuck with not much else to do (I was backstage during a play and had about 2 hours to kill before I went on stage), I would have given up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Motorcycle Diaries.