Myridian's Reviews > The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism

The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra

Mar 22, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction, buddhism, science
Read in June, 2004

Reading this book was almost a transformative experience. It brought home the idea that the world that I exist in is illusory on a whole host of levels. Not only is my reality tainted by my experience, but it is also impossible to experience the "real" universe because most of it exists outside of our realm of sensation (anything very small or very large cannot be experienced by us firsthand) and even if we could somehow perceive it, we can't experience anything without changing it. I have always trusted Thich Nhat Hanh's vision of the interbeing of all things, but somehow the fact that a scientist was talking about these things made them that much more "believable". It's amazing how actually having a model explaining the links between science and mysticism is somehow so comforting. My only problem with the book was that it began to discuss particles in more and more specific detail. I began to have difficulty keeping the symbols and what each particle does straight. It made the end a bit confusing. I may need to read the book again one of these days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Physics.