Sarah (Tail-Kinker)'s Reviews > The Shelters of Stone

The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel

Jul 11, 11

Read in July, 2011

Jondalar and Ayla have returned to his home of the Zelandonii and are preparing to be Mated and set up their hearth and begin their lives together...

Sometimes it seemed to take forever...the first few days took up much of the book overall and seemed to stumble around well-worn areas that have been rehashed interminably in earlier books. I understand that Ayla and Jondalar would be called upon to tell of their exploits, but do the readers have to be treated to these re-hashings? I would think a simple 'Ayla relayed the story of how she came to be Whinney, Racer, and Wolf's mother' would have sufficed.

Also, I was irritated by the way that Ayla didn't seem to jump on so many of the things she had learned about. They were quick to show the firestones, but what about making soap or clay? Ayla's insistence on being clean so much of the time would make me think learning to do soap again correctly would have been one of the first things she attempted to do! While she idly thinks of it one time in the story, nothing is done and she barely thinks about making clay at all!

Perhaps that will be dealt with in the conclusion book after this, but I did strongly feel that during the long winter months Ayla would have at least attempted to make soap or fire clay vessels.

Otherwise, I enjoyed learning more about the theories of social interaction amongst the Stone-Age peoples although at times the people were a bit unbelievable as only a few are "bad seeds" and everyone seems to go along with Ayla and Jondalar, especially since they have the all-powerful leader and Zelandoni on their side.

And of course the entire book is still punctuated by vivid descriptions of the geography, skills, animals and plants to be found and their uses, which I find to be fascinating if not overdone.

At some point I will probably pick up the last book, but not for awhile as I need a break from the Ice Age.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shelters of Stone.