Burd's Reviews > The Cure For Death By Lightning

The Cure For Death By Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 1996 — I own a copy

Gail Anderson-Dargatz is one of my favorite authors and this is one of my favorite books. It's one of those stories where you get so involved emotionally with the characters. I just could not put it down. I'm definitely going to read this one again one day.

The story is told by a 15 year old girl named Beth Weeks. She becomes close to a Native Indian girl named Nora. Nora knows a lot about the mysterious Coyote Jack. Nora believes Coyote Jack can change shape and turn you into an animal.

The whole story takes place over one year during which Beth goes through a great deal of turmoil. Beth's mother keeps a scrapbook which reminded me very much of Dina's quilt in A Fine Balance. It contains recipes, pressed flowers, news paper clippings and old photos... and, of course, the cure for death by lightning.

My favorite character was Filthy Billy. He's one of the hired hands on the farm. Hard-working, shy and suffering from Turret's syndrome. He's very kind-hearted and brave.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cure For Death By Lightning.