Lani's Reviews > The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1

The Softwire by P.J. Haarsma

Jul 12, 11

bookshelves: kindle, kids, scifi
Read on July 11, 2011

I picked this up for free (or possibly just a couple bucks) on the Twitter recommendation of Nathan Fillion. Not half bad for a random free book from Amazon.

This felt kind of like a poor man's Ender's Game, but it was enjoyable. A ship full of children make it to their final destination after their parents' cryo chambers failed. Sold as slaves to residents of their new home, they stumble across a computer virus that could mean the end of their world.

The main character, JT, is a 'softwire', someone who can interface with a computer with his mind. This makes him valuable, but also puts him in danger and makes him a convenient scapegoat for the problems unfolding on Orbis.

This is a series apparently, and as a first book, I think it does rather well. We meet the main characters and a few less important, but interesting, characters that will probably develop more in future books. This book gives us an 'origin story' and lots of background on the setting for the future books. It leaves us with a bit of mystery for why or how JT is the first human softwire that I assume will be a continuing theme of the books.

If you're a fan of decent YA sci-fi, this is a good one to try. The writing style is a bit... bland? But the plot doesn't slow down much despite the need for all the exposition of a first book in a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Softwire.