Eva Leger's Reviews > Chester's Way

Chester's Way by Kevin Henkes

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: julias-books
Read on July 17, 2011

Julia and I are slowly but surely going through every Henkes' book we can find. So far there hasn't been one we haven't liked or loved. We both fell in love with Lilly so I was fairly sure we'd do the same with Chester and I was right.
Chester's Way is a great book for any young kid, especially one so set in their own routines that they may not see other ways of doing things. Children dealing with OCD or anything similar may be able to get something out of it as well. That's not to say a child not dealing with something like this couldn't take something away, they certainly can - and probably will - IMO.
There are numerous aspects of this story that can start great conversations. From Chester's own way of doing things to the friendship between Chester and Wilson to a new person moving into the neighborhood and on and on. Sometimes when a children's story has these kinds of discussion topics it starts to feel a little like school or an after school special type deal but Henkes' avoids that seamlessly.
The ending here is particularly amusing and Julia loved how Lilly ended up "saving" the boys. What will we do when we run of Henkes' books?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chester's Way.