Galina's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Aug 12, 2011

bookshelves: e-books
Read from August 05 to 11, 2011

This is a nice reading but I'm not so much excited about this book and actually don't understand why it's so widely talked over.
When I've been reading this I always had the feeling that I'm not sitting with the book but watching the movie, moreover not the first time. In spite of it doesn't have some direct quotes or repeats from the movies but in general this is such a typical absolutely ready script for the romantic melodrama where all steps are predictable and you definitely know that you'll find yourself crying at the end (I'm even not so much interested in watching of the movie - feel like it will be "Marley&me" but without a dog...)
And surprisingly I haven't cried and that's the other reason why I can't say that the book is perfect for me. I enjoyed the style, the idea of living of just one day from a year with the characters, but I haven't got any deep feelings - joy or sorrow - even in the most dramatic moments.
I'm not the fan of happy-endings but it even seems to me that here the end has nothing to do with the matter. When 3/4 of book you're reading the light and nice romantic story at the end this abrupt fall to drama is not quite understandable. Seems like Nicholls got tired of his characters and decided to tie the ends very fast and to kill the story completely.
Actually in spite of all the words I said I liked this book and I will recommend it to my friends. But this is a bit less than I expected...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

08/10/2011 page 180

Anna Let me know what you think about it. I've enjoyed it - it was very unusual to have a story flow this way. I'm looking forward to catching the movie - it's coming out in August.

Galina You know - i loved the dialogs, some quotes from this book are really worth to be remembered. And the way the story flows is really interesting. But I didn't like both characters and sometimes it was really boring to read about their problems. And I don't understand the idea - why it was needed to finish such an interesting story of love-friendship with the ordinary marriage-impregnation-losing - I think it wasn't needed here... That's my opinion