Emma's Reviews > Everlasting

Everlasting by Alyson Noel

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: pnr, owned-kindle
Read from July 11 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

In the final instalment of the Immortals series Ever has to face her destiny and go on a spiritual journey that could mean the end of her epic love with Damen. What path will they choose for their future and will it be together or apart?

Though I appreciated the sentiment of the book and felt it did wrap up the various themes and storylines of the series logically, I’m afraid I could only give this two stars for being ‘okay’.

The beginning was a bit slow with the opening chapters being slightly formulaic: i.e. Ever and Damen either in the muddy region of Summerland or discussing whether the riddle is just the ramblings of a crazy, old lady or truly meant for Ever to decipher. I then became a little confused by Damen’s yo-yoing attitude and it didn’t seem to fit the character I had come to know throughout the previous books.

In the past he had always been quite wise, having learnt a lot during his six hundred years on earth, and usually very fair and supportive towards Ever (even when it didn’t really seem like she deserved it). This change seemed odd and a bit forced, as though it was the only way to create some conflict for the final book.

Possibly, over the years that the series has been released I have outgrown the style and voice of the book as I didn’t find Ever’s narrative particularly engaging and I started to dislike her tendency to ‘monologue’ when she was talking to people, as though she was some kind of guru or prophet. Her becoming the ultra-enlightened, ‘chosen one’ also felt a little too much of a stretch. Up until this final book her growing spirituality and understanding had been gradual and believable but in Everlasting it felt too extreme.

I can’t say I was disappointed with it as a finale because it ticked a lot of boxes but in general I think the connection I felt to Ever at the start of the series somehow got lost along the way.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everlasting.