Ragnheiður's Reviews > Handling the Undead

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2011, i-own
Read from July 11 to 12, 2011

The Swedish nation really is exceptionally open minded when it comes to the dead rising.

This book sucks.
I have the same basic problem with it as I did Let the Right one In -Lindqvist simply isn't that good as a writer, or they are badly translated. Most likely both. The text doesn't flow as naturally as it could and the storyline is avarage (stupid more like). Maybe my standard of Horror is too high after all the King books I've read (or after the class on Horror I took last semester) but Lindqvist just isn't worth it, I'd rather read something else by someone else in the future.
7 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Handling the Undead.

07/11/2011 page 101
26.0% "This book is stupid."

message 1: by Bylgja (new)

Bylgja Valtýsdóttir Of course - it is about DEAD people wanting to go home! How stupid is that!

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Are the dead people handling things? Like business and/or tools?

message 3: by Hildur (new)

Hildur Hahaha!

message 4: by Bylgja (new)

Bylgja Valtýsdóttir Dead people should never handle electric tools. They may live from the shock!

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian I totally agree Bylgja

message 6: by Bylgja (new)

Bylgja Valtýsdóttir 3 stars?

Perihan Hahaha "The dead are rising!" "Ok" good one. Yeah that was pretty much like it, however, other workds for Lindqvist were not as unworthy as this one. It would be worth reading Let the Right One In or Harbour, they're pretty good.

message 8: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian Burt wow, a generous rating for a book you thought "sucks"

Melissa I disagree. I'm a huge horror fan and most recently started broadening my horizons into more "meaningful" literature in terms of relationships and life meaning. I feel this book covers it all and I'm enjoying it so far.

message 10: by Donald (new) - added it

Donald King is your ultimate horror standard? Really? He writes the same thing over & over

message 11: by Asynia (new)

Asynia If you don't like this book, you don't like it, it's not for everyone's taste. But Swedish is my first language and I've read it in it's original Swedish and I really love the way Mr Lindqvist writes! Then, for some reason, I re-read "Let the right one in" in English translation, and I totally agree with you, the translation sucked more than the vampire! (Okay, I know, bad pun) I have no idea why a publisher would let a translator do a shoddy job with a book that has been made into a Hollywood-movie, but they did.
So your opinion on Mr Linqvist's writing abilities might have been different with a better translation. ... or not, it might just be a matter of what writing styles you like or don't like.

N. Sherman 3 stars?

Chrystal Hays I really liked The Harbor. I think a different translator was used, because it was brilliant. I also think expectations due to an awkward title hurt this book.