Amy Acosta's Reviews > Ocean of Blood

Ocean of Blood by Darren Shan

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: vampires-or-shifters
Read from July 29 to August 02, 2011

An excellent continuation to the Saga of Larten Crepsley, Ocean of Blood managed to surprise me in more ways than one. In following the story of Larten’s “teenage” years I found myself relating to his indecisions in choosing a path in life. He feels as if “There was a gaping hole in his life that needed to be filled” (p141), and so he tries filling it in every imaginable way; from drinking, to sleeping around, to gambling, and surrounding himself with superficial people. Now, I don’t do any of those things, but I do feel as if I need a purpose in life, and I haven’t found it or I’m still not sure which path to take. I was surprised to be reminded of this while reading a vampire horror story. After all I read to get away from life… but that actually made this book all the more significant to me.

As always Darren Shan manages to be bloody, gory and disgusting without actually making me want to throw up. The final scenes though had me cringing a bit, not for the graphic description but from the brutality of it all. Still, an quick and enjoyable read for those horror fans out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ocean of Blood.

08/01/2011 page 139