Cole Gregory's Reviews > The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

Mar 29, 08

bookshelves: literature
Recommended to Cole by: my friend Amir
Recommended for: everyone interested in science fiction
Read in January, 2006

When I was in sixth grade one of my good friends, Amir, was reading a book by H.G. Wells called "The Island of Doctor Moreau". He told me that the book was very good, but that he also has written other very good novels. Taking his advice, the next day I went to Barnes and Nobles to get a book by H.G. Wells. The one that caught my eye the most was one named The Time Machine. When I got home I started to read it and I couldn't put it down. It was so good. I strongly suggest this book to all readers but mostly people interested in science fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Machine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erik Graff Going to Norway at the age of ten I was confronted with a problem, namely that the public library in my grandparent's neighborhood in Oslo had only a little more than one shelf of books in English. Thank heavens, they had Orwell and some Wells.

I devoted that summer to reading everything I could get my hands on by H.G. Wells. Fortunately, what the library and the few bookstores carrying English books had were his science fiction novels, among them The Time Machine. Since then I've read some of his ordinary fiction, barely getting through Tono Bungay (sic?). They didn't hold up like the science fiction.

One of the reasons I even noticed Wells on that shelf was, of course, the original Hollywood version of The Time Machine--not to mention the Classic Comics Books edition which I owned. Now there has been a remake, but I still prefer the original--probably a prejudice of age. I wonder what younger viewers who have seen both versions would say.

Dr. Carl Ludwig Dorsch In the late 1990s David Lake wrote a story called "The Truth About Weena" in which the Traveller returns to the future to rescue Weena from 802,701 AD.

Once she is settled in 1890s London and realizes how her future (and the Morlocks) had evolved from the society she sees around her, she resolves (with her socialist friends, Wells included) to change history.

Suffice it to say that at her death her funeral is attended by "...an enormous number of celebrities -- including the old Kaiser and the famous German painter Adolph Hitler. Hitler was a great man in the world peace movement; he was visibly in tears through the ceremony..."

(There are many "Time Machine" sequels. Lake himself had earlier (1981) also published another, "The Man Who Loved Morlocks.")