Cristina Buzoianu's Reviews > Resurrection

Resurrection by Boone Brux

Jul 15, 11

Read from July 10 to 13, 2011

This was originally posted on my blog http://bibliophilemystery.blogspot.com/

I had a hard time getting into this book, I don't really know why, because it's not a bad book, I guess I just read it at the wrong moment.
Ravyn grew up at the Abbey since infancy, never knew who her parents were, thought they gave her away because of her abilities. She can use fire as a weapon to defend herself, see spirits and interact with them. Life at the Abbey wasn’t good, but she had the other girls, who always came to her for advice, she has always been the strong one, always taking care of the ones she cared about.
Rhys is the last full blooded Bringer, mythical warriors that can sense and fight the Bane. The rest of his kind were killed by these demons some 300 years ago, and he’s fighting them by himself ever since. Something else is luring him to the Abbey, besides his Bane alarm: an unfamiliar presence he feels attracted to. But he made a vow long time ago, not to let feelings get in the way of his duty.
When Ravyn is almost killed by Icarus, the Bane’s second in command, Rhys must save her, keep her safe and also find out what the Bane wants her for. They immediately feel an intense desire, but Rhys’ vow keeps him from showing his feelings.
However I found some things that didn’t work for me.
I felt a little bit out of time. The age when the action takes place isn’t mentioned in the novel, and I’m not really ok with that. It’s a time when people ride horses and stay at an Inn, nothing strange here. But the dialogues are modern. I don’t think people riding horses used words like “sexy”or “perplexing”.
The easy way in which some characters take in the existence of supernatural elements seemed a little unnatural to me. It’s not bad, just odd.
Ravyn walks through many first-time-things in this novel too quickly and in an easy way…there’s no accommodation time between the last one and the next.
I would have liked a better explaining of some terms, and some abilities mentioned at the beginning were almost forgotten in the rest of the book. But since there will be at least another book in the series, I hope we'll find more about that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resurrection.