Gwen's Reviews > Heck Superhero

Heck Superhero by Martine Leavitt

821956
Oct 17, 08

Recommended for: people who aren't into comics
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

I get the feeling that Leavitt does not really know about comics or what comics a 13-year-old (I think he was supposed to be 13) who loves comics would be familiar with in this day and age. Especially one who is presented as unsheltered and has supposedly been taking care of himself and his mother a long time. What results is an unbelievably naive character by a writer that makes herself sound just as naive by not really knowing the thing that, she tells her readers, her main character loves. As a 13-year-old boy how can he not have come across something like the hardline (yet somewhat questionable morality) of The Punisher? The disalussionment of Spiderman? The cynacizing of Batman? Even if he hasn't read things like Watchmen or The Doom Patrol (which I had read by the time I was 13), how can he still think that things always turn out alright for superheroes? Modern comics are full of unhappy endings and angst. His take is too simplistic.

Maybe my problem is that I've read too many books about jaded, comic book lovers. Maybe my problem is that I am one.

I thought she wrote some beautiful phrases and the idea behind the plot of the story is wonderful, but I was disapointed by how it was told. Like the main character, the story felt flat. I wanted more depth and I wanted more sophistication (yes, a young adult novel should have that).

I'm not going to get too geeky in this review (I've tried to keep to recognizable comics references) and maybe I've already been too harsh, but I think my main problem is that Leavitt did not seem to do the research she needed to in order to make this book interesting or anything more than mostly pretty pose. That said, I wished it had been better. I still want it to be better. As I finish writing this way-longer-than-intended review, I realize the book frustrated me because I had high hopes for it.

If you're a comics fan, probably shouldn't pick this one up. If you aren't, then I would say it's worth reading - I'd say it's a quick read for even an 11-year-old.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heck Superhero.