Maya Ganguly's Reviews > We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals

We Two by Gillian Gill

Jul 10, 2011

it was ok

So, I finished this a few months back and read this in conjunction with another biography on Albert (Stanley Wientrab's Uncrowned King). I found this book more compelling to read, but totally biased against Albert. Gillian Gill makes a lot of conclusions about Albert and his personality that I didn't quite sit well with me, for example, at one point she makes a statement about Albert being antisemitic, but doesn't back this up, and ignores the fact that Prince Albert was supporter/friend of the Rothschilds and an advocate for the bill which allowed Jews to serve in parliament (prior to him Jews were not allowed to sit in parliament, even if they won the office.) I also was frustrated by Ms. Gills constant reference to how great Queen Victoria was and I say this a person who has always been impressed by her as a young woman of strength and spirit surviving in a male dominated world. I feel like both these figures and their marriage deserved a more nuanced and better researched biography. If you plan on reading this, I would suggest reading it in conjunction with a less biased biography, or a biography that is biased in the other direction.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Two.