Amanda's Reviews > Guerrillas: Journeys in the Insurgent World

Guerrillas by Jon Lee Anderson

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: history, latin-american-books, middle-east, warfare
Read from July 13 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

This is very clearly a book that was a product of a pre-9/11 world. Anderson looks at five different guerilla groups: Western Sahara's Polisario Front, the Karen of Burma, the mujahadeen of Afghanistan, the Palestinians in Gaza, and the FMLA of El Salvador.

Parts of this book were really insightful and useful, and opened my mind to ideas and expressions I hadn't properly considered. The rest was garbage. I found the descriptions of people as "exotic" troublesome, and I felt the portrayal of women, when it was actually done (because women seemingly disappeared in this book - he did not speak to many of them), were completely condescending. Calling a Palestinian woman "the fat mother" did nothing to endear himself to me.

I think the epilogue and followup were too short to condense all of what had happened in the past decade since he revisited those places. It was a good piece in parts, but the whole does not add up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guerrillas.

07/13/2011 page 33
11.0% "This is definitely a book written in a pre-9/11 world. Besides that, there is a lot of gendered insults in just the first few pages. But I am learning about places like Western Sahara that I didn't know about, so I will mainline it and take what I can out of it."
show 1 hidden update…