Marci's Reviews > The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove

The Art of Eating In by Cathy Erway

F_50x66
Jul 10, 11

Read in June, 2011

I had such high hopes for this book. With a teenage son and a soon-to-be teenage son, plus three other kids, I'm trying to find ways to cut back on my food budget and was hoping to find ways to make eating in an easier experience (not being so fond of cooking and all). The book started out promisingly enough with a young lady in NYC looking to cut expenses and deciding to eat in and blog about it. In the course of blogging she decides to delve into different ways to cut her food budget and tries different things such as foraging in the local parks and freeganism (dumpster diving for food). This is where she started to lose me. There is now way I can imagine dumpster diving to try and find dinner for seven people each night. "Well kids, why don't we see if we can find some slightly stale bagels and maybe some soon-to-be expired lettuce for dinner tonight!" I understand that this was about her journey but it seemed like a poor-man's attempt at Julie and Julia. In the end I was completely befuddled about why she included an impromptu sexual encounter in the book and where she was going with the story line. It seemed like the book was a series of social mishaps centered around food and her attempts to win various food competitions. Each episode in her book seems to rely heavily on booze. I guess many young people drink that much but I was getting pretty tired of reading about the beer in her hand. The recipes also seemed way out of the league of what I might make for my family. I'm sure there are others who connect to her life in a better way but I was bored and disappointed by the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Eating In.