Amanda Ryan's Reviews > The Taming of the Rake

The Taming of the Rake by Kasey Michaels

Jul 10, 11

Read in January, 2011

This was my first read of Kasey Michaels. The Taming of the Rake is the story of Chelsea taking the reins of her future into her own hands. Her boorish and ignorant brother has forced a betrothal to a monstrous man of faith. Rather than indignantly suffer, she absonds into the early morning hours and sees refuge in the house of her brother's sworn enemy, Oliver "Beau" Blackthorn.

Despite her rash actions, Chelsea is a reasonable woman. She's knowledgeable in most worldly matters, and she knows what she's done has likely ruined any future chances of respectability. She also knows it will infuriate her brother, a particular perk.

Beau has history with Chelsea's family, a history that entices him to accept her offer of a hasty marriage. His ultimate goal is to, more or less, strike at the heart of Chelsea's brother. They immediately hasten to Gretna Green, encountering one setback after another, as well as having to deal with their unavoidable attraction.

There were things I liked about this book, and other things I didn't. For one, the banter between Chelsea, Beau, and Beau's brother, Puck, is pretty funny. Chelsea is unusually frank, Beau is cynical, and Puck is...well, he lives up to his name sake as a jokester. This repore, though humorous, gets old after a bit, and I found myself skimming through parts that didn't ultimately feel detrimental to the plot. The action was lagging at times, but once things picked up, so did my interest.

All in all, The Taming of the Rake is a fun read, but one I'm likely not to venture into again. I may, however, be interested in picking up the next saga for the next Blackthorn brother.

The Taming of the Rake by Kasey Michaels

Rating: C

Romance: 2/5 Raunch: 2/5
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taming of the Rake.