SarahC's Reviews > The Collected Stories of Elizabeth Bowen

The Collected Stories of Elizabeth Bowen by Elizabeth Bowen

211925
Aug 29, 11

Read from July 10 to August 29, 2011

I have not read all of the stories in this collection -- I plan to savor them over time. This is a goldmine of beautiful short stories like I have not seen before. Elizabeth Bowen was a master of the short story as well as of longer fiction as well. She was an Anglo-Irish author who lived and wrote through many decades of the 2oth century. She lived through the changes and upheaval of the century and through much distress in her private life also. I can hardly compare her writing with that of anyone else.

This collection is nicely categorized by eras and is filled with such a variety of characters, young and old, ghostly, radical, upper class, lower class, but mostly vulnerable and challenged by changes in some way. Some of the stories feel like a small inner light against a cold world, and some of them simply feel stark, emotional. Most seem to present an insoluble feel that really speaks to all the times of change of the century.

Elizabeth Bowen is probably a very overlooked author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories of Elizabeth Bowen.

07/10/2011 "I get very absorbed in Elizabeth Bowen..."
07/13/2011 "Bowen knew how to write a story that brings you immediately there with her characters. Theses are a real experience."
07/14/2011 "If you haven't, you SHOULD read some Elizabeth Bowen."
07/14/2011 "All of her writing is an experience, but her short stories can be read in small pockets of time, they are amazing, and then they ride around in your mind all day."

message 1: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen How do you like these stories so far, Sarah? I've got a ton of Bowen's books on my to-read list. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much!

SarahC I'll write a review soon. I am reading a few for a group and will write a review then. I know I will wind up reading them all though -- they are just like small snacks that you can't put down.

SarahC Of her novels, I have read A House in Paris and Eva Trout. House in Paris is very good.

message 4: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen SarahC wrote: "Of her novels, I have read A House in Paris and Eva Trout. House in Paris is very good."

OK, thanks. These sound really good, and I am going to have to get one or two from the library. I thought she'd be a good writer! Thanks so much!