Cathy's Reviews > Cold Mountain

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

F 50x66
Dec 04, 13

Read in March, 2008

When I was thinking of what to say about The Namesake, which I liked alot, I started thinking that maybe we need an asterisk for books that are truly special to us, that knock our socks off. I know that one reason why some books do that has to do with a certain time in our lives. Books that did that to me in the past, like the Alexandria Quartet, I haven't looked at again since I was in my 20's. Others I return to again and again. Cold Mountain is one of those. (Along with Bel Canto, The Fountain Overflows, and The Golden Compass) This is probably my third reading of Cold Mountain, and seemed a logical extension of our spring break trip to the Smokies. We were there, or nearly so. Reading it after having been in the Blue Ridge Mountains, I felt that I could see what Charles Frazier was describing, where before I could see only the characters and their growth. I know that a book will be important to me when I start to slow down as I get close to the end. I just don't want to say goodbye to these people.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Mountain.