Myke's Reviews > Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human

Supergods by Grant Morrison

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: comics, reference, autobiography
Read from July 11 to 16, 2011

Part memoir, Part history of the superhero/examination of superhero in the real world.

Grant Morrison has been my favourite comic book author since i discovered his work and is also one of my favourite authors overall. In Supergods Morriosn goes over the history of the golden age,silver age, the grim and gritty and finally the past 10-15 years and gives us information on their purpose during these times such as Supermans change from apolitcal champion of justice to symbol of patriotism during the events of WWII to facing the problems of the everyday man to solar god, Batmans change from gothic pulp noir based avenger to father figure to the brooding "Dark Knight Detective". Morrison also covers the more relatable Spider-Man, the cosmic creations of Jack Kirby such as The Fantastic Four and his Fourth World saga, Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams socially concious Green Lantern/Green Arrow series. The legendary works of Frank Miller and Alan Moores realism in the 1980s and finally the creations of Morrison himself along with Mark Millar and Warren Ellis among others.

While informing us of these histories Morrison gives us details of his own life from growing up in Glasgow, going to an all boys school which let to awkwardness around the opposite sex, joining a band, his early comic book work in the UK, early success in DC with Animal Man,Arkham Asylum and Doom Patrol, his first few girlfriends, shaving his head, his alien abduction experience, his dabblings in chaos magic, his wife Kristan, his fathers death and his continuing success in comics.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Supergods.

07/11/2011 page 85