Alisha's Reviews > How I Live Now

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: books-i-couldn-t-finish
Read on July 11, 2011

I'm only giving this book a star because you cant give it less.
I was resold dissapointed by this book. From looking on here and seeing most of the reviews, you would think that this would be a decent read.... But anything but.
From the first few pages I knew I was going to have trouble with the book. I don't understand the style of writing! I mean what's that about? The books not a diary so why's it writen as such? It just makes any conversation between character confusing and dull.
And for the characters themselves. I got 100 page in and i still didn't know anything about then, apart from the fact there's two cousins who like to sleep with eachother ( which was never really explored) im sorry but if you're going to write a book with incest in it, I think you need to somehow justify why 2 family members would decided to find it excetable to sleep with eachother. They must have known on some level that it was wrong, but that never seemed to cross their minds.
Ok ok I gave up reading half way through but since I had painfully read half the book and still felt like I was at the very beginning I really didn't see how it would make a difference if I finished it or not.
Oh and another thing that REALLY bugged me was the constant Use Of Random Capital LETTERS!! Why? Why would you need to do that? And does the author know what a comma is? Her sentences are so long, it's hard to believe she wasn't going for a record!
(and before anyone says anything about my grammar or spelling, I'm using my iPhone so that sort of thing goes out the window a bit...)
Anyways I wouldn't recomend this nook to anyone and this is the first time I've ever read a book and thought that. I can normally find something good about a book.
Ok to be fair I did like the idea behind the book and if a decent author ever took the idea an rewrote it I would be more then happy to give it another read. As for this book.... Well I wouldn't waste you're money on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Live Now.

07/10/2011 page 16
7.0% "I'm really not liking the style of writing of this book, Its making it almost impossible for me relate to the characters. I know i haven't read much yet, but I defiantly love conversations and the way this book is written I can't see myself liking it much...."
07/10/2011 page 51
23.0% "Yeah its not getting better, why would anyone write like this? What's the point in reading a book and constantly feeling Luke you're on the outside looking in on everything. It's boring and dull.... And I think it's making the book not flow fuidly. It feeling a bit like I'm reading something written by a child "and this happened, then this happened and then that happened...." it's very dull to read."
07/10/2011 page 59
26.0% "I'm pretty sure Meg Rosoff doesn't know what a comma is! I also want to ban her from using the words 'and' and 'or'. Jeeze I think she's trying to achieve a world record for the longest sentantces ever in a single book. How this book seems to get ratings over a single star is beyond me. The story seems good but the writings diabolical!"
07/11/2011 page 99
44.0% "Yeah I don't think I can carry on reading this book. Its painful to read, I don't understand how people enjoyed it I really don't. I don't understand how the thing got published!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daisy Beth Hey, maybe this just wasn't your book; you obviously were not lazy with your review and you gave the book fair chance. But the reason it is written like this is so that we can see the world at war through Daisy's eyes. Random Capitalization and no punctuation whatsoever when someone speaks are just part of the narrative.

Alisha Daisy wrote: "Hey, maybe this just wasn't your book; you obviously were not lazy with your review and you gave the book fair chance. But the reason it is written like this is so that we can see the world at war..."

Yeah I tried. I always seem like a failure if I can't finish a book, but it seriously wasn't for me. With me it's always slightly worrying if there's a running commentary while I'm reading a book. If I love it, you won't hear a peep from me for days. Aaaah well loads of people seem to like it and I'll give the film a shot. As I said I liked the story- just not how it was written. x

Chloe Shayler I agree about the Random Capitalization - I found it really irritating. And I hated the no punctuation thing. I don't know, it just bugged me.