Karen 's Reviews > What Alice Forgot

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Sep 06, 2011

bookshelves: fiction
Read from August 04 to September 06, 2011

Written by Liane Moriarty, this is an interesting book. Alice falls off her bike at her spin class and loses her memory. When she comes to, she thinks it's still 1998, but in fact it's ten years later. The premise of the book is what interested me in reading it. You can't help but inject yourself into that story line. What would be different in your life if you 'woke up' and thought it was 10 years ago, retaining nothing about what had ensued since? More interestingly, what might you have done differently if you knew then what you know now? As Alice tries to remember what could have possibly happened that could cause her to be in the midst of a divorce from the husband that she loves so much, this sentiment echoes another. How often do you hear about family members feuding and not even remembering the reason? And if the reason is so inconsequential, then why ruin your (and potentially the lives of your children) life over it?
The idea of the SPACIOUSNESS (or lack thereof) of days is introduced that also really resonated with me. This is from page 332: "There just wasn't enough time in 2008. It had become a limited resource. Back in 1998, the days were so much more spacious (italics mine). . . Days were so STINGY (italics mine) now. Mean slivers of time." This reminded me of how many days I feel exactly this way. Hardly a day passes that I don't think (and truthfully, often say), "There just isn't enough time to do (fill in the blank) today."
One of the best aspects of this book is the dialogue among the children; it was excellent; it sounded authentic, true, as anyone who grew up bickering with their siblings will immediately recognize.
This book is ultimately about what can happen when you let 'busyness' crowd out what's really important in your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Alice Forgot.