Traci Haley's Reviews > Maine

Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan

Jul 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobooks, general-fiction
Read from July 10 to 20, 2011

I can't seem to resist reading books abut wealthy East coasters who have beach houses on Nantucket or, in this case, Maine. The premise of this story sounded promising, but it was not without flaws. The characters are all truly unlikable. I really couldn't find many redeeming qualities in any of them. They were all extremely selfish and hateful towards each other. While I did find aspects of each character that was interesting, I also spent a large part of the book being very frustrated at how stupidly they were acting towards each other.

The plot itself kept my interest, especially the backstory about Alice's sister. However, the end left me feeling a little unsatisfied. I really can't relate to the whole "Catholic guilt" thing and, in my opinion, Alice's decision about the house was a really mean thing to do to her family. I also wish that they had closed up Ann Marie's storyline a little better -- I found her one of the more interesting characters and would have liked to see her find a little happiness... and perhaps a little tolerance for her daughter's lifestyle.

All in all, I did enjoy the book... I just didn't LOVE it and I'm not convinced that I'll read more by this author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Traci, I think me & you just need to schedule a vacation there. Maine is the only state I haven't been to on the East Coast, and my step-mom says she knows it'd be my favorite!

Traci Haley I have always wanted to visit Maine! Actually, when I was a teenager, I wanted desperately to live in Maine on a house on a cliff overlooking the beach. However, we'd have to come up with a road trip solution that doesn't involve me getting on a plane ;)... otherwise, I am all for it! *laugh*

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I prefer driving over flying, too! As long as there are woods around that house in Maine, I'm with ya!

Traci Haley Yay for people who share my love of road trips over flying! :D I agree, woods are a must... especially with the pictures I've seen of New England forests :)