Joy Joy's Reviews > Dreamland

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

Nov 04, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Recommended for: those with wayward relationship
Read from August 28 to 29, 2011

"Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." --Eleanor Roosevelt

This was one of those books that I would start off easily. And also, one of those books that I would cringe and shut their covers because of too much tension and unbearable anxiety. Some of those books, they were left unfinished. I couldn't just go on because they were too hard to read. -But, all books have souls-. They would speak to you and nag you to finish them and find out about the characters and their burden.

I wasn't in for a heavy reading because of the previous horrifying genres I just read. I was looking forward to something breezy and light. So, I thought of my new Sarah Dessen collection and randomly chose this one. It was so easy at first. The pacing was good. The similes and metaphors were reflective and soulful. And then, the tension began to build. I pitied Caitlin. Being in the middle of great loss and bridging the gap between her parents whom her sister had left behind, she found herself completely lost. She was truly co-dependent with her violent boyfriend; hence she was afraid to make little mistakes that would start the cycle of abuse. I would cringe with her every time Rogerson hit her. I found myself bearing down as she received punches and slaps. At some unbearable instance, I stopped reading and leave it be. But, I couldn't stand the depression I felt and tread on painfully. It was like punishing myself. Anyhow, I managed to finish this book.

Miss Dessen gracefully addressed another important matter that would deeply move her readers. She created quirky and warm characters. She plotted a story that would psych up her readers. This book was utterly depressing and heartbreaking. Some stubborn heart reading this would find its way to healing and forgiveness. This was a heavy read but worth ones time and heart.

_This is a book that will not heal you. But, this is a book that will help you heal yourself_

Cheers to you Miss Sarah Dessen

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamland.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cienne Olaes i like this book

message 2: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy Joy Cienne wrote: "i like this book"

Thanks, Cien! This is a Sarah Dessen marathon week for me!!!

Julie_ian_curtis At some unbearable instance, I stopped reading and leave it be. But, I couldn't stand the depression I felt and tread on painfully. It was like punishing myself

i agree this was heavy going