Franz's Reviews > Winston's War: Churchill, 1940-1945

Jul 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, history, nonfiction
Read from July 08 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

Winston's War begins with Churchill ascending to power in 1940. Britain seemed on the brink of defeat at the hands of the German Army. It continues through to Churchill's fall from power in 1945, in the closing days of World War II, when an election swept the Labour Party into power. I found several aspects of this book fascinating, including Churchill's inability to find a truly great field commander, his insistence on supporting sideshows (Greece and Yugoslavia are two examples), and the reality of his relationships with Roosevelt and Stalin. I came away thinking that Churchill, and only Churchill, could have held Britain (and thus, the free world) together during the dark days of 1940-1942. But, as the war waged on, he was often a liability to the British and Allied cause. This is one of several Churchill biographies I have read, and was well worth it as it shed new light on this complex character in history.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in Winston Churchill or World War II.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winston's War.