Ruth Segal's Reviews > Swamplandia!

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell

Sep 21, 11

Read from July 10 to September 21, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swamplandia!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruth Segal I loved this woman's writing in this book. (trying to get into her other book now and not so much)
The characters really made me laugh.
What an imagination!
Especially appreciated everything about alligators and the Florida history she retells.
Minus one star for violence.

Nitya Interesting that we both just read this book.I, too, have her other book,mostly like the title.Thanks for your review, I think we saw it a lot the same.
I'd love to know what you thought about Peace Like A River.

Ruth Segal Hi Nitya,
Peace Like a River sat on my shelf for about a year before I picked it up. Grace had recommended and given it to me.
One day I opened it just to see if I could get into it and I read most of it in one sitting.
I was spellbound by the book.
It made total sense to me. I loved the miracles and the normalness of them.
Loved the narrator, and all the characters. Even the scary Waltzer(?) guy up in the mountain hide out.
The romance between the dad and Roxanna was enchanting. She was an immediate thrill to me from the moment they pulled into her station.
The ending was a disappointment but I enjoyed the book a lot.
Today I saw RENT at the playhouse for the second time.
Did you see it?
It is fantastic.
I may go see it one more time before its done.
Bye for now.

Nitya I, thought Peace Like a River was awesome as well. I'd admired the book's cover often, and liked the title. Finally gave it to Selma to read, and she loved it. A few people I've given it to weren't able to get into it. I guess we're all different.
No, I haven't seen Rent, thought about it, but I am going away Thursday, was away all last weekend, and so I have missed my chance. Today I'm simply exhausted, fighting a cold, blah blah.
I wish now I had seen it, seems I go to less theatre than I used to. But the wedding trip was a bit expensive, so pulling in the reins on expenditures for a bit. Have you read Ann Lamott? I just listened to Plan B on my way to Pensacola, and it was really good.