Kayleigh {K-Books}'s Reviews > Half-Blood

Oh Aiden
::sigh::

Merged review:

Half-Blood Review on K-Books

I absolutely 100% adored this book. It was incredible and I could not put it down. If I didn't have to sleep I could have easily read the whole thing in one sitting, as it turns out I do have to sleep so I read it in 2.
Half-Blood picks up right where the prequel, Daimon, left off.

Alex is still reeling from the shocking turn her life has taken but she doesn't have time to stay shocked for long as the Daimon's are coming for her. Suddenly Alex is rescued by the handsome Aiden and taken back to the safety of the Covenant. Rather than become a servant for the Pure's Alex must prove she is worth becoming a Sentinal so is trained by Aiden. The problem is Alex has been in love with Aiden since she first saw him, but relationships between Pures and Halfs are forbidden. But overcoming her feelings for Aiden are the least of her worries as a shocking truth comes to light and Alex must face the thing she dreads the most if she hopes to survive through her last year of the Covenant and become a Sentinel. Can she succeed in her mission or is she fated to become a Daimon?

I loved everything about this book. It did remind me a little of Vampire Academy but it did not bother me at all. I loved VA and I love this. I can see why people compare the two books a lot but after finishing the book I do not believe they are all that similar. Yes, they are both set in a school, the main character is a kick-ass and they both end up training with someone they love but aren't supposed to. So What? I don't see why it matter so much because this book is phenomenal. It is an original story and I loved that it was mythological. I am such a mythology geek. I love everything mythological and Jennifer L Armentrout writes about mythology perfectly. I loved the concept of the Hematoi's and the Daimon's and the Half-Bloods and I think the character (species) building was incredible. I loved all of the characters and I loved the world in which Half-Blood is set it incredible.

Alex is one of my favourite characters ever. I love her. I love her tough-as-nails attitude and her sense of humour so much. Multiple times throughout the book I was laughing at the funny things and snide remarks she would come out with. She is just one of those characters everyone will love. I also loved Aiden, he is the sweetest character and the more I read about him the more I loved him. I feel sad that he is a Pure because all I want is for him and Alex to be able to be together. I still have hope that it could happen.
Another character I started to like more towards the end was Seth. I am curious to see how things will escalate with them in the next book and to see what happens. I am definitely an Aiden girl and don't want Alex and Seth together but at the same time I am curious to see where they will go from here and what will happen with them.

There are so many twists and turns in this book and so many times I was shocked at what had happened and I found myself thinking really? I never saw that coming. The second half of the book was definitely better than the first and this is where it started to come into it's originality and I loved it. It shocked me and it pulled at the heartstrings a lot.

This was such an incredible start to the series and I cannot wait to read the rest in the series. I am in love with Jennifer's writing style and I can't help but love every book she writes. Her worlds are incredible and you automatically just fall in love with her incredible characters. I am very excited to see what she comes up with next and I definitely have a new favourite author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

Quotes Kayleigh {K-Books} Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I was gonna be super pissed in the afterlife if I died a virgin in this crap hole.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.”
tags: seth

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You better have had a baby, killed someone, or slept with a pure. Those are your three options. Anything less is unsuitable.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Seth glanced back over his shoulder at the door. “Alex, you’re starting to worry me. Insult me… or something.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Then I should be relieved to know what I was told an hour ago is false. It wasn't you who yanked a girl--by her hair--out of chair in the common lounge area.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You need to know about love. The things people will do for love. All truths come down to love, do they not? One way or another, they do. See, there is a difference between love and need. Sometimes, what you feel is immediate and without rhyme or reason.” She sat up a little straighter. “Two people see each across a room or their skin brushes. Their souls recognize the person as their own. It doesn’t need time to figure it. The soul always knows… whether it’s right or wrong.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It’s just words and words mean nothing. Only action does.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Hey,” I reached out and tapped the hand that rested next to my left leg. “you are--”
The hand that I tapped reached up and clasped mine. I froze as he threaded his finders through mine. “I’m what?”
Beautiful. Kind. Patient. Perfect. I said none of those things. Instead, I stared at his fingers, wondering if he knew he was holding my hand. “You’re always so….”
His thumb moved over the top of my hand. The balm made his fingers cool and smooth. “What?”
I looked up, and I was immediately snared. His stare, his soft touch along my hand was doing very strange things. I felt hot and dizzy, like I’d been out in the sun all day. All I could think about was how his hand felt on mine. Then, what his hand would feel like on other parts. I shouldn’t be thinking that at all.
Aiden was a pure.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“ALEX: “How come you smile when you knock me down?”

AIDEN: “It’s the little things that make me happy.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Are you lost, Lea? This isn't where they're handing out the free pregnancy tests.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Did you think he was just some lazy pure-blood who needed protection?” His voice dripped sarcasm.
“Well he looks like one! How was I supposed to know he was secretly Rambo in Dockers?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Need covers itself with love, but need… need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“People do the damndest things when they’re in love.”
tags: love

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It was just a hug, but gods, it meant so much. It meant everything.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“No. I do believe in them. I just think they’re absentee landlords. Right now, they’re probably hanging out somewhere in Las Vegas, screwing showgirls and cheating at poker.”
tags: alex

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“There’s nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought. That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with. And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a firestarter in your back pocket.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Without thinking, I moved again, reaching out and touching the hand
resting near my thigh. Call it an experiment, but I wanted to see what would happen

Seth’s head whipped in my direction.

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing.” And nothing was what happened. Confused, I wrapped my fingers around his.

“Doesn’t look like nothing,” His eyes narrowed on me.

“I guess so.” Giving up on my impromptu test, I lifted my hand. “Shouldn’t you be—” Whatever I was about to say died on my lips. Incredibly fast, Seth grabbed my hand and threaded his fingers through mine.

“Is this what you wanted?” he asked, ever so casually.

It happened. Being so close to him this time, I could see where the markings came from. The thick veins in his hand
were the first to darken, branching out before spreading up his arm. Mesmerized, I watched the inky tats cover every piece of exposed skin. Before my eyes, they shifted away from his veins, swirling around his skin. Breaking off into different designs as he—we—continued to hold hands.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Two people see each other across a room or their skin brushes. Their souls recognize the person as their own. It doesn’t need time to figure it. The soul always knows… whether it’s right or wrong.”
tags: love

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“What can I say? I cleaned up nicely”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Everything could come to a crashing end for us if we were caught, but it didn’t matter. Right now, being with him seemed worth whatever consequence could come from it. This was right, like it was meant to be. There was no logical explanation for it.”

11/07/2011 page 117
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

H.Lee Great Review Kay!

Kayleigh {K-Books} Thanks Heather =)

Kristina Ivashkov kool review Kay:) by the way is this the first book in the series??

Kayleigh {K-Books} Yes but there is a prequel called Daimon

Harshini  Ramanujam Great review!! Can't wait to read it :)

Kristina Ivashkov OCD Kay {K-Books} wrote: "Yes but there is a prequel called Daimon"

Am i supposed to read that one or shall i just start with this one? i mean i wont be missing anything out right?

Thanks<3

Kayleigh {K-Books} I would suggest reading the prequel first. It's not very long and I think it's a free download from her website.

Kristina Ivashkov right thanks for the info! looking forward to it:D

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Storm I'm going to have to check this book out.

Kayleigh {K-Books} I'm re-reading it right now