Patricia's Reviews > Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades, 6th Edition: The Complete Guide to Organic Gardening

Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades, 6th Edition by Steve Solomon

Jun 14, 08

bookshelves: gardening, purchased, read-in-2008, good-nonfiction
Read in April, 2008

I. Love. This. Book. As you might have guessed by the title Solomon throughly explores how to grow things if you live west of the Cascade Mountains. Our climate over here is different than the rest of the US and so a lot of general gardening guides don't work for us, for instance, mulching with hay or leaves around a plant will bring the slugs a chomping.

While not a how-to guide, Solomon has many handy items included in this book: a month-by-month planting guide; advice NOT to do a soil test as well as the organic fertalizer he recommends you stirr up yourself and use; instructions for planting your garden so you never have to water it; a 4-5 year rotation of land to avoid insect infestations.

This guide will be by my right hand when planning my garden next year. The only drawback I could find was that reading it made me long for more ground in which to grow things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades, 6th Edition.