Lynda Tatad's Reviews > Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit

Gwenhwyfar by Mercedes Lackey

Jul 27, 11

Read from July 14 to 20, 2011

I finally got a chance to rea Mercedes Lackey's "Gwenhyfar", and was very surprised to find out that it was a young girl with the same name as King Arthur's wife. So, when I thought I was reading an Arthurian tale told from the point of view of the younf Queen - it turned out I thought I was wrong, but then I was right! ****************spoliers***************************** In the author's note afterward, the author's research pointed her in the direction of possibly 3 Guinevere's in Arthur's life, and a possible 4th 'false' Guinevere ... also comments about whether he had one son, twins, or none all played into what she decided to do with this story. I loved what she did, the young Gwenhyfar is the 3rd daughter of a King loyal to Arthur, but the family is still strong in their faith in the Old Ways, as her mother Queen Eleri is one of the Ladies who have strong magic in her line, and her 4 daughters (including Gwen) are blessed in different ways by the Goddesses they worship. Gwen is actually blessed by 2, and she has the stronger urge to become a Warrior, than one of the Ladies of the Circle. The youngest sister is a brat who can twist most people to what she wants, and looks so alike to Gwen as to be twins, so she becomes known as Little Gwen. This is defintely an epic Arthurian tale, (including all of the major players in the original legend) with so much more than I expected! Wonderful re-telling from Ms. Lackey!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gwenhwyfar.