Anne Ku's Reviews > Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg

Jul 10, 2011

Read on July 10, 2011

I went to a Writing Group in the Hague today for the first time. Seeing the half-read paperback "Writing Down the Bones" on someone's table made me curious as I had heard of it before.

I simply couldn't put it down.

So I negotiated with the owner of the book, the friend who introduced me to the writing group, to swap the book I was reading (something about taking back your life, another self-help book I was half-way through and wanted to finish and give away because there were too many of such books on my shelf and repertoire) -- for her book to finish reading by tomorrow.

I read Goldberg's bestseller on the steps next to the famous Dr Anton Philipzaal (concert hall) after a much-needed salt-and-pepper squid and rice take-out meal. I continued reading it on the train back to Utrecht, hoping the train ride would not end.

As soon as I got home, I sat in the garden in the setting northern European sun, anxious to digest the remaining pearls of wisdom before the sun disappeared from the roof tops of the monument houses.

I finished the book in less than a day.

I guess I was desperate.

I had not read a book about writing in a long time. I had loads to write, but I could not even do the "free writing" of today's writing session, only jotting down bullet points and ideas from my head, flushing out the burden of responsibility to write reviews and more. I had not kept a journal for more than a year. I was stuck.

Reading Natalie Goldberg's book freed the writer within me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writing Down the Bones.

Susan de Vriend - Raddatz Anne - this book is something you really should consider owning. Its always something good to come back to. With this book, I find so many new inspirations each time I pick it up. It immediately helps you want to write. Wonderful review! I hope you are writing as I write this now. :)

kisses,