Tayra Toledo's Reviews > Angels and Demons

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

U 50x66
Jul 10, 2011

liked it

I must admit I did enjoy this book. I read it before the "The Da Vinci Code" bandwagon, which I tried to read after A&D, and wasn't able to finish it. I consider A&D a guilty pleasure. After all, Dan Brown is not exactly Agatha Christie when it comes to suspense writing.

Why didn't I give more than 3 stars? This is absolutely no masterpiece. I am no fan of Dan Brown's plot and character development style. This is not what I consider literature; it is plain entertainment. The plot can be somewhat rushed (which, in some sense, contributes to the 'what's-next' adrenaline rush it provokes); the characters lack depth and the overall writing style falls within the mainstream of generic Thriller/Suspense writers.

Why didn't I give less than 3 stars? Because I did find myself engaged in the suspense and it was hard to put down. It is an entertaining book. Yes, the science vs. religion topic might be difficult to digest for some people, and the ideas are crazy and radical (though in an implausible way), but it didn't bother me at all, since this is fiction. I never intended to define my views on life, faith and such based on this book (or any other fiction book, for that matter). It did serve its purpose of entertaining me, so I wouldn't consider it a bad book.

I recommend it if you are looking for plain entertainment (a suspense page-turner), if you are open-minded about religion and radical ideas, and if you read fiction books with the awareness that it does not need to make full sense from a realistic, scientific point of view.

If you are looking for rich contemporary literature, really well-written books, with some suspense, page-turner element to it, then I would recommend authors like Agatha Christie, Carlos Ruiz Zafón (The Shadow of the Wind), and such.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels and Demons.