sarah gilbert's Reviews > The Privileges

Dec 29, 12

bookshelves: tin-house-readings-2011
Read from July 12 to August 07, 2011

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Privileges.

07/12/2011 page 10
4.0% "I bought this book because Jonathan Dee's ability to see into the self of characters utterly unlike him -- a woman of my age, a 12-year-old girl, a depressed salesman -- are uncanny. Also, private equity! Really! though I've just begun this book, I very much enjoy his shifting perspective; it's almost sleight-of-hand, how you go from one person's head to another, just enough to get at who they are, what they see"
07/15/2011 page 52
20.0% "after the frenetic pace of the wedding, settling into (mostly) one narrator is simpler. there is nothing but empathy here for these people; even the unsympathetic ones."
07/18/2011 page 65
25.0% "I shouldn't swear, but I'm really rolling my eyes here: I was so, so hoping this was actually a book in which finance careers were treated seriously. in other words, in which investment banking could be something other than being a broker. guess what Adam was before being a private equity associate? a fucking broker. damn it. (I'm sorry. everything else is great.)"
07/25/2011 page 160
62.0% "though none of the characters, from a distance or treated (I'm guessing) in a movie, are at all sympathetic, I'm finding the close-in progression with them through their lives humanizes them -- lets us see all their worst, all their best, all the reasons anyone would love them. the characterization is masterful; the details of their lives, I'm watching with great interest to see how they all add up at the end."
08/07/2011 page 258
100.0% "While I was rapt until the end of the book -- wanting more, even -- and certainly nodding my head as Cynthia and Jonas both stepped into separate paths of past-forgetting -- I was at the same time confused by the characterization. Jonas was the most confusing, having been training for a life as an indie musician and taking the climax of the book suddenly to outsider art. interesting -- but curious."