Jana (The Book Goddess)'s Reviews > Leaving Paradise

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Dec 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in August, 2011

This book is AMAZING. Simone is fast becoming one of my favorite authors EVER.
I'll definitely be reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Paradise.

Quotes Jana (The Book Goddess) Liked

Simone Elkeles
“Are you following me?" she asks, but doesn't meet my gaze.
"Yeah," I say.
"Why?"
I give her the only honest and true answer I have. "You're where I want to be.”

Simone Elkeles
“I wasn't going to kiss you."'
'You weren't?' I look up look up at him.
[...]
'Nope, the next time I kiss you it'll last a long, long time. And when we're done you're going to realize being turned on is not about experience.”

Simone Elkeles
“Love is honesty. Love is a mutual respect for one another.”

Simone Elkeles
“what could i do to make the one i loved love me back ?”
tags: love

Simone Elkeles
“I look down at our knees, slightly touching. Jeans against jeans. Does she notice the heat transferring from her body to mine? Does she even realize what she's doing to me? I know, I know. I'm not a virgin and the slightest touch of a girl's knee is driving me insane. I don't even know what I'm feeling for Maggie, I just know that I'm feeling. It's something I've tried to avoid and deny until yesterday, when I held her in my arms while her tears spilled onto my shirt.

God, our knees touching isn't enough. I need more.

She's knotting her fingers together on her lap as if she doesn't know what to do with them. I want to touch her, but what if she pulls away like before? I've never been such a wuss with a girl in my life.

I bite my bottom lip as I slide my hand about millionth of a millimeter closer to her hand.

She doesn't seem fazed so I move closer. And closer.

When the tips of my fingers touch her wrist, she freezes. But she doesn't jerk her hand away. God, her skin is so soft, I think as my fingers trail a path from her wrist to her knuckles to her smooth, manicured nails.

I swear touching her like this is driving me nuts. It's more erotic, more intense than any other time with Kendra. I feel awkward and inexperienced as a freshman again. I look up. Everyone else is oblivious to the intensity of emotions running rampant in the back of the public bus.

When I look back down at my hand covering hers, I'm grateful she hasn't come to her senses and pulled away. As if she knows my thoughts, we both turn our hands at the same time so our hands are palm against palm...finger against finger. Her hand is dwarfed against mine. It makes her seem more delicate and petite than I'd realize. I feel a need to protect her and be her champion should she ever need one.

With a slight shift of my hand, I lace my fingers through hers.

I'm holding hands. With Maggie Armstrong.

I'm not even going to think about how wrong it is because it feels so right. She's avoided looking right at me, but now she turns her head and our eyes lock. God, how come I never noticed before how long her lashes were and how her brown eyes have specks of gold that sparkle when the sun shine on them?

The bus stops suddenly and I look out the window. It's our stop. She must have realized this because she pulls her hand away from mine and stands. I follow behind, still reeling.”

Simone Elkeles
“It's hard keeping everything the same when the same things look and feel so different”

“I cry a lot.'
'Yeah? Well I'm gonna change that.”

Simone Elkeles
“Sometimes you have to steer away from the crowd in order to be a better person. It's not always easy, that's for sure. But it's right. And sometimes doing the right thing feels good, even if it does end up in a trip to the principal's office.”

Simone Elkeles
“No, the next time i kiss you it'll last a long, long time. And then when we're done you're gonna realize being turned on is not about experience”

Simone Elkeles
“Being told when to shit, shower, shave, eat, and sleep isn't my idea of paradise. But then again, Paradise, where i grew up, wasn't paradise either. I'm wondering if paradise is just some word in the dictionary with the definition: this doesn't fucking exist.
--Caleb to himself”

Simone Elkeles
“My dream is to find a guy who'll love me despite my flaws and won't turn away from me when a perfect girl walks by. Maybe a boy like that doesn't even exist.”

Simone Elkeles
“I can't sleep. Too many thoughts running through my useless head.”

08/24/2011 page 20
08/24/2011 page 50
17.0% "This is amazing! After reading the full Perfect Chemistry series, and now this.. Simone Elkeles is fast becoming one of my great authors :D"
show 2 hidden updates…