Patty's Reviews > Escape: A Wyoming Historical Novel

Escape by Jean Henry Mead

F 50x66
Jul 14, 11

Read from July 10 to 13, 2011

I really wanted to like this book. I liked the premise and the setting but for some reason it missed somewhere along the line.

Andrea's Grandmother tells her to cut her hair and put on coveralls to disguise herself when some strangers come to the ranch in the late 1800's in Wyoming. When "Andy" is kidnapped and force to go to the Hole in the Wall and spend time with the Wild Bunch things get very interesting.

Lots of stories about Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid along with the other outlaws, all told with some very accurate history.

There is a lot of violence in this book, and maybe that was was bothered me. Yes, I know that the outlaws of the Wild Bunch were violent and killed and robbed and stole but most of the violence in this one is aim at Andy and her friend Billy, Billy being the only person who knows that Andy is a female. Both are beaten, shot at, and generally abused. Maybe that was what bothered me the most, that so much violence was directed at the youngest of the characters.

If you are big fans of the last of the old-time cowboy/outlaws this is a great story. It just didn't work for me as well as I would have liked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape.