Krista Stevens's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Mar 05, 12

bookshelves: religious, non-fiction
Read in March, 2012

Recommended by K. Mangan and C. Shannon just started reading it. Well, it reminded me of "The Shack", but much better written (should be - written with writer extrodinaire, Lynn Vincent". Just, I'm a skeptic, okay? I've also spent decades in churches' children's rooms - grew up in them, chased my own kid through them, and still, even now, take my turn.

This pastor, has he looked through every single book in those rooms - the ones we read almost non-stop during excruiatingly long church services? Has he watched every video we finally succumb to for everyone's sanity? Thinking his son has never seen these images is just silliness.

However, I think there's some truth added to all of this - just can't quite separate it out from the "not-so-sure-about-that". I'm glad animals are in heaven. And unborn babies. And that's about it. Still doesn't sound like a heaven I'd want to visit, though I did like the swords until I read that women and children don't get them and have to stand back and watch while the "men" drive Satan back. Sigh. I just changed my rating to two stars. My sixteen-year-old daughter, however, loved it - so what do I know?

Note: "Going Bovine" was much better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.