Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Sally's Bones

Sally's Bones by MacKenzie Cadenhead

Sep 03, 2011

bookshelves: middle-grade, for-review, sept11, read-in-2011
Read from August 27 to 28, 2011

It’s really hard not to love a cute little dog. It’s even really hard not to love a cute little dog when that dog happens to be a skeleton, as Bones is. But I loved him just as much as Sally Simplesmith comes to love him and it’s because author MacKenzie Cadenhead makes him incredibly loveable. Middle grade readers will adore Sally’s precocious new pet and will be eager to see justice for pooch.

Sally’s Bones is a little darker than some MG books because it focuses on a dead pooch that appears after Sally begs her mother’s gravesite for her own death. Sally’s a lonely, isolated girl who misses her mother more than anything else and even if readers can’t relate to that precise feeling, they’ll be able to empathize and understand Sally’s emotions.

Sally’s story is more complicated than just having a dead dog. There’s Viola Vanderperfect – Sally’s once friend and now middle-school dominating nemesis, some threatening letters, and a dog catcher that’s determined to pull Bones apart and give his bits and pieces to the neighborhood dogs that are missing their favorite meatless treats. So life for Sally goes from boring and mundane to extraordinary, all in the blink of an eye.

All in all, Sally’s Bones is an entertaining and delightful book that will keep readers guessing with the mystery and keep them glued to the pages by Sally and Bones’ friendship. There’s love, family, and a lot of whodunit. Readers of all ages will enjoy this slightly morbid tale and come to care for the skeletal pup and the girl who loves him regardless.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sally's Bones.

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna This one looks great! It sounds this might be something my son would like, even though the main character is a girl. What do you think?

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) Donna wrote: "This one looks great! It sounds this might be something my son would like, even though the main character is a girl. What do you think?"
I think a boy would definitely like this too. It's not just a girl book, by any means, so I hope you pick it up for him and he enjoys it.