Jennifer's Reviews > Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory

F_50x66
Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Read in July, 2011

Rapkin's book "Theater Geek" about the Stagedoor Manor theatre camp is truly one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read...inspiring. Perhaps if my background were in collegiate a cappella instead of theatre, I'd feel the same about "Pitch Perfect." The structure is nearly identical: three intimate, current case studies interspersed with well-written big picture history lessons. It's a structure that may or may not work with a lessor storyteller, but Rapkin is simultaneously an excellent storyteller and a detailed researcher. As a reader, you feel like you can trust him. As a storyteller, you always feel like he was there, but there inobtrusively, a true fly-on-the-wall, intimately aware of the drama as it unfolded, but not involved. I didn't find the fraternity/sorority feel of many of the students profiled in the book as engaging as my beloved theatre kids, but there was still plenty to like about these goofy pseudostars. Rapkin knows how to talk about those subcultures that are just begging to be (or already are) a Christopher Guest movie. Can't wait to see what he'll come up with next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pitch Perfect.