Tara's Reviews > The Unwritten, Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock

The Unwritten, Vol. 3 by Mike Carey

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read on July 10, 2011

The ingenuity and skill of this series continues to boggle my mind. Are you a reader? Read it. Read it. Read it.

a quote from the intro, by Steven Hall:

Most people don't have the first idea about the true power of stories. I'm sure you know this. I'm sure you do, because you're a reader - you're reading this book right now. You're bound to know a thing or two about it.

Maybe you're the woman on the train who doesn't ever let the raised eyebrows of grey-looking office workers put her off her comic books. Maybe you're the kid at high school who gets teased for always having his nose buried in a Stephen King. Maybe you're a writer, like me, who was always being told, "When are you going to grow up and do something useful with your life?"

It doesn't matter which one you are, just that you're one of us. You're clued in. You know what they don't. You know how it all works. Or at least, you will soon, if you keep reading this book.

It's a sad fact that most people can't even spot a story when they see one. Most people don't know that stories aren't confined by the covers of books or by half-hour slots on TV. The world is made of stories. The world is driven by stories. When a sunburned-friend tells you about their holiday, it's not a straight list of everything that happened to them - it's a story, an anecdote with a plot, a beginning, a middle and an end. Each one of their holiday snaps is a story too. When you're making a decision, and you imagine the possible outcomes - what are you doing if not telling yourself a story? History is a story. Society is a story. Countries are stories. Your plans are stories. Your desires are stories. Your own memories are stories - narratives selected, trimmed and packaged by the hidden machinery in your mind. Human beings are story engines. We have to be - to understand stories is to understand the world.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten, Vol. 3.