Susie's Reviews > Heartless

F 50x66
Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: christian, ya
Read in July, 2011

I am one of those people who can't see an allegory that's staring me in the face. I like to read books to read a book, and watch movies to watch a movie. So, it's possible that if I hadn't already read that this book was a Christian allegory, I might now have noticed it. But I don't think so. Seriously, I can read right past allegory in all sorts of things, but this was So Obvious. So obvious that it interfered with my enjoyment of the story.(view spoiler)

That said, I did like the book a lot. Though I felt the characters could have been more developed, the writing was good. I wasn't overwhelmed by details I didn't care about.

I wouldn't like this book nearly as much without the allegory. Without, it would have just been a story. With it, this book was a powerful reminder that I've been pondering for several days. One of my favorite parts of the book was when the Dragon calls Una worthless. "A Princess? Hardly." Very poignant, especially in light of the allegory. Yes, the Prince dispels all such feelings and proves to Una her worth to Him.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.