Kai (Amaterasu Reads)'s Reviews > The Stalker Chronicles

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012-tbr-pile, arc, for-review, teens
Read on February 09, 2012

Review posted at Amaterasu Reads

I prefer to define 'stalking' as 'intense observation', or substitute that with the other phrase. Because really, would you want to be labeled as a 'stalker'? The word has such a negative connotation that the way we see someone called as such changes dramatically. And in Cammie's case she is one, but she's not afraid to admit it.

I didn't quite understand how Cammie can call herself a stalker at first. I felt like everyone had wronged her. The whispers in the corridor, the snide remarks, the laughter from the cheer leaders and the popular kids all because of one reason: she is a stalker. How did she become one? Why? When Toby came into the picture, that's when I finally understood. Cammie is, indeed, a stalker. But don't they have feelings too? Don't they get hurt? Don't they get worried? It felt like exploring an unfamiliar territory while I was reading about Cammie. There were moments I felt like it was all a joke, then I felt like it was so ridiculous, and then I felt afraid. There are things that were wrong with Cammie, but they were not all bad. Cammie's 'problem' was brought on by a dysfunctional family and growing up in a very different environment where feelings are rarely showed and she was rarely appreciated. That was all she wants, attention and love. To be liked.

But let me emphasize one thing: there's a fine line between observing people and invading their privacy. When you cross that line, that's when it becomes scary and dangerous. But this is a Young Adult book, and everything is downplayed. Toby, the object of Cammie's affection, understands a person who needs help because he used to need it. It hurts to think that the one thing Cammie and Toby had in common was because they were both different, that they were outcasts, that something is wrong with the both of them. Toby, despite being the cute boy with green eyes, went through depression and was called crazy by everyone. What made me finally love both characters were how they tried to be better. Toby became Cammie's anchor and Cammie was the one person that made Toby feel normal again. Romance be damned (at first), but there's something about those moments between them where they just shared what they felt, talked about things they liked and bonded over an abandoned theater. Simple things like that can lead to building strong friendships and maybe something more.

Yes, dear readers, do not be fooled by the pink, overly happy looking cover. The Stalker Chronicles deals with a theme far more deeper than what made it look, and that's what made me like this book, the way it had surprised me. I've expected it to be a light, fluffy, hilarious tale but I got so much more. The author did such a fantastic job of showing what was beyond Cammie's notorious persona as a stalker, that she's so much more, that she can also be a girl whose parents are getting divorced, who worries if the guy she likes will like her back, and is ultimately tired of being the 'stalker' everyone thinks she is.

Cammie's witty voice all throughout the novel is another part that I liked. It's like diving into the mind of a girl who obsesses with something she likes, but in all the wrong ways. It makes you think just how much family dynamics, school environment, friends influence you. And just when you think everything in this book is all cute and fluffy if you judge it by its cover, you'll be delighted to know just how much depth each character has with their back stories. It wasn't just about Cammie, as the story moves forward along with the rest of the characters, although it could have been better if there was more tension and a lot more conflict that can drive the story forward.

The Stalker Chronicles is a heartfelt tale of one girl's life as a stalker, and who she is behind that label. Sometimes there's a reason why people act the way they do, and people need to take a step back and see someone beyond what people label them as. Thoroughly entertaining with quite a few bursts of wit and flashes of humor, The Stalker Chronicles is a good read! If you want a book that will surprise you, get this one! I tell you, there is more to this book than that cute, flashy, pink cover.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stalker Chronicles.