Tiphanie Neely's Reviews > The Dreamer

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: books-i-ve-read-in-2011, checked-out-from-library, fiction
Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

List time!
Reasons why I liked this book:

1. It was mostly narrative with sides of poetry and illustration. Both only strengthened the story.
2. The writing was clear, lovely, and perfect in the way it flowed from reality to Neftali's dreamworld and back again without stopping to say, "Hey guys, this part is not real." Because it was real, in a sense, and the author knows that.

Reasons why I didn't like this book:

1. The format of the book. It's almost 400 pages long, but it used big print and double-spaced lines. Let me give you an example: a 400 page book might take me 3ish hours to read, maybe more. This book took me 50 minutes to complete. I'm not complaining about the shortness, mind you, just the format.

Other things:

The story follows Neftali's childhood as he struggles with a harsh father who is incapable of understanding his son's passions and loves. I loved Neftali because he reminded me a lot of myself as a kid (and, I guess, now): always daydreaming, always collecting things, always writing in notebooks, always wanting to say things to people but never actually knowing how.
Also, the book is a fictional account of the real poet Pablo Neruda, who I thought I had not heard of until I went and read some of his stuff and realized that I had indeed read his stuff before. But the author does a good job of lacing hints of what Neftali will eventually do as an adult.

tl;dr
Beautiful story about a daydreaming, collection-loving, writing boy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dreamer.