Jim's Reviews > You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up: A Love Story

You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up by Annabelle Gurwitch

Jul 06, 12

bookshelves: ear-candy, non-fiction, to-make-you-laugh
Read from June 23 to July 06, 2012

There is a tagline on the back of the audio package.."for couples who just aren't that into themselves."
Are you kidding me? I dare you to find two more self-involved, whining, pseudo-intellectual people than Annabelle Gurwitch and Jeff Kahn. They are the epitome of the west coast/LA stereotype.

Now, to be fair, there are some very funny parts in this book, much like Porky's had some very funny parts. Their take on courtship rituals and the heartbreak of dealing with a chronically ill child kept my interest alive. The back third of the book just slides into never-ending narcissism and it gets old fast.

One other thought - if Mr. & Mrs. Joe Blow had written this work and approached an agent/publisher, I doubt it would have ever seen the light of day after the scores of "Dear Mr. & Mrs. Blow, it's not for us, but writing is subjective so keep looking!" letters were sent. The fact the Gurwitch/Kahn are in show-biz and already agented is the only reason this was not self-published.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Say Tomato, I Say Shut Up.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin omg hilarious title!