Vicki Keire's Reviews > Violet Midnight

Violet Midnight by Allie Burke

Jul 09, 11

I really really liked this book. I found the writing to be poetic and the plot imaginative. The book had a kind of lyric flow to it that made its less than linear structure completely enjoyable. I loved the flashbacks between Jane and her grandmother. This method of "showing" and not "telling" revealed much about the main character as well as the author's narrative technique of not spoon-feeding her audience every single detail. Sensory details were vivid and layered. Burke's descriptions- of the colors of auras, textures like blankets and wood, the smells of the forest and the feel of lake water against skin- all contribute to give this book an almost hallucinatory quality. It's a beautifully written, somewhat stylized adult fantasy/romance.

The one and only reason I'm giving this book four stars instead of five is highly unusual for me (ok, four and half!) is because I found the word "lied" instead of "lay" consistently throughout the book. As in, "He lied down next to her." That's it. That's the only thing. Other than that, this was one of the best reads I've come across in a really long time. I had no idea when I picked it up that the whole series was finished. I don't even have to wait to find out what happens next, which is excellent, because I was trying to reconcile myself to a long wait.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Violet Midnight.