Mardy's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

F 50x66
Jul 09, 11

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Quotes Mardy Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She laughed enough to migrate an entire flock of birds. That was how she said yes”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I took the world into me, rearranged it, and sent it back out as a question: "Do you like me?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers, which could be in the pouches of our overalls? When you skateboarded down the street at night you could hear everyone's heartbeat, and they could hear yours, sort of like sonar. One weird thing is, I wonder if everyone's hearts would start to beat at the same time, like how women who live together have their menstrual periods at the same time, which I know about, but don't really want to know about. That would be so weird, except that the place in the hospital where babies are born would sound like a crystal chandelier in a houseboat, because the babies wouldn't have had time to match up their heartbeats yet. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I felt, that night, on that stage, under that skull, incredibly close to everything in the universe, but also extremely alone. I wondered, for the first time in my life, if life was worth all the work it took to live. What exactly made it worth it? What's so horrible about being dead forever, and not feeling anything, and not even dreaming? What's so great about feeling and dreaming?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I shook my tambourine the whole time, because it helped me remember that even though I was going through different neighborhoods, I was still me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“We need enormous pockets, pockets big enough for our families and our friends, and even the people who aren't on our lists, people we've never met but still want to protect. We need pockets for boroughs and for cities, a pocket that could hold the universe.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I knew that our time together was almost over, I asked her if she liked sports, she asked me if I liked chess, I asked her if she liked fallen trees, she went home with her father, the center of me followed her, but I was left with the shell of me, I needed to see her again, I couldn't explain my need to myself, and that's why it was such a beautiful need, there's nothing wrong with not understanding yourself.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“...because he had been waiting for someone to come back to him, so every time someone knocked on the door, he couldn't stop himself from hoping it might be that person, even though he knew he shouldn't hope.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“In bed that night I invented a special drain that would be underneath every pillow in New York, and would connect to the reservoir. Whenever people cried themselves to sleep, the tears would all go to the same place, and in the morning the weatherman could report if the water level of the Reservoir of Tears had gone up or down, and you could know if New York is in heavy boots.”
tags: love

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I feel too much. That's what's going on.' 'Do you think one can feel too much? Or just feel in the wrong ways?' 'My insides don't match up with my outsides.' 'Do anyone's insides and outsides match up?' 'I don't know. I'm only me.' 'Maybe that's what a person's personality is: the difference between the inside and outside.' 'But it's worse for me.' 'I wonder if everyone thinks it's worse for him.' 'Probably. But it really is worse for me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Do you have any coffee?'...'It stunts my growth, and I'm afraid of death.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Your dad didn't die, so I won't be able to explain it to you.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The secret was a hole in the middle of me that every happy thing fell into.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“In the end, everyone loses everyone. There was no invention to get around that, and so I felt, that night, like the turtle that everything else in the universe was on top of.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I hope that one day you will have the experience of doing something you do not understand for someone you love.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“There is nothing wrong with compromising. Even if you compromise almost everything.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I never confused what I had with what I was.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Why didn't he say goodbye?
I gave myself a bruise.
Why didn't he say 'I love you'?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I wanted to touch him, to tell him that even if everyone left everyone, I would never leave him, he talked and talked, his words fell through him, trying to find the floor to his sadness.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Every moment before this one depends on this one.”

“But it was unnecessary.
There would be other nights.
And how can you say I love you to someone you love?
I rolled on my side and fell asleep next to her.
Here is the point of everything I've been trying to tell you, Oskar.
It's always necessary.
I love you,
Grandma”
tags: love

Jonathan Safran Foer
“My life story is the story of everyone I've ever met.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“So many people enter and leave your life! Hundreds of thousands of people! You have to keep the door open so they can come in! But it also means you have to let them go!”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Mom told me, “It probably gets pretty lonely to be Grandma, don’t you think?” I told her, “It probably gets pretty lonely to be anyone.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“And here I am, instead of there. I'm sitting in this library, thousands of miles from my life, writing another letter I know I won't be able to send, no matter how hard I try and how much I want to. How did that boy making love behind that shed become this man writing this letter at this table?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I did not need to know if he could love me.
I needed to know if he could need me.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“We had everything to say to each other, but no ways to say it”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I hated myself for going, why couldn't I be the kind of person who stays?”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“My boots were so heavy that I was glad there was a column beneath us. How could such a lonely person have been living so close to me my whole life? If I had known, I would have gone up to keep him company.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I thought, it's a shame that we have to live, but it's a tragedy that we get to live only one life, because if I'd had two lives, I would have spent one of them with her.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I was more alone than if I had been alone.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I missed you even when I was with you. That’s been my problem. I miss what I already have, and I surround myself with things that are missing.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I want an infinitely blank book and the rest of time.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“But I knew the truth and that's why I was so sad. Every moment before this one depends on this one. Everything in the history of the world can be proven wrong in one moment.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“The mistakes I've made are dead to me. But I can't take back the things I never did.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“She wrote, I wish I could be a girl again, with a chance to live my life again. I have suffered so much more than I needed to. And the joys I have felt have not always been joyous. I could have lived differently.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I try not to remember the life that I didn’t want to lose but lost and have to remember”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Highs and lows make you feel that things matter, but they're nothing." "So what's something?" "Being reliable is something. Being good.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I hope you never think about anything as much as I think about you.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“If it weren't my life, I wouldn't have believed it.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I'd lost count of the disappointments.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I wanted so much to have a life. Even just once, even for a second.”
tags: life

Jonathan Safran Foer
“she saw through the shell of me into the center of me … She went home with her father, the center of me followed her, but I was left with the shell of me”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“No matter how much I feel, I’m not going to let it out. If I have to cry, I’m gonna cry on the inside. If I have to bleed, I’ll bruise. If my heart starts going crazy, I’m not gonna tell everyone in the world about it. It doesn’t help anything. It just makes everyone’s life worse.”

Jonathan Safran Foer
“That’s all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there.”