Ruth's Reviews > Once Upon a Time, There Was You

Once Upon a Time, There Was You by Elizabeth Berg

Jul 10, 11

Read from July 09 to 10, 2011

I have read many of Berg's books and I must say this is perhaps the one that I have liked the least.

Irene and John were married for about nine years and then divorced. They had one daughter, Sadie who lived with her controlling mother and missed her father who remained in their hometown of Minneapolis while they moved to San Francisco. The few weeks a year when Sadie went to go visit her father never seemed to be enough for either of them.

One day, Irene is frantic and calls John. There is a crisis involving Sadie. John leaves the new relationship that he has just started and rushes out to San Francisco. During the time that he is there staying with Irene, they begin to explore how they really feel about each other.

Although Berg does a good job developing her characters I found the story to be a bit unbelievable. The struggle between an 18 year old about to go off on her own and a mother was very realistic, however.

If I was going to recommend a book to a friend, this would not be the one that I would tell them to add to their list.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time, There Was You.