Sai's Reviews > Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

Sep 28, 12

bookshelves: movies-and-then-books, own, favorites, covers-i-like
Read from September 23 to 28, 2012

I had already seen movie got intrigued by charachters like Camerlango,Robert,Olivetti..Even I do liked the speech of Camerlango in Conclave..I want to know more and started book.But with the book I was even fascinated with Characters of Vittoria and Morietti...I liked childhood story of Vittori and Camerlango..All credit goes to Dan Brown the way he explains the story...And "dialogues" WOW......Who is Ignorant?..The man who cannot define Lightening or The man who can not realise it's awesome power...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels & Demons.

Quotes Sai Liked

Dan Brown
“You are confused because the Bible describes God as an omnipotent and benevolent deity…Omnipotent-benevolent simply means that God is all-powerful and well-meaning.”
I understand the concept. It’s just…there seems to be a contradiction.”
Yes. The contradiction is pain. Man’s starvation, war, sickness…”
Exactly!” Chartrand knew the camerlengo would understand. “Terrible things happen in this world. Human tragedy seems like proof that God could not possibly be both all-powerful and well-meaning. If He loves us and has the power to change our situation, He would prevent our pain, wouldn’t He?”
The Camerlengo frowned. “Would He?”
Chartrand felt uneasy. Had he overstepped his bounds? Was this one of those religious questions you just didn’t ask? “Well…if God loves us, and He can protect us, He would have to. It seems He is either omnipotent and uncaring, or benevolent and powerless to help.”
Do you have children, Lieutenant?”
Chartrand flushed. “No, signore.”
Imagine you had an eight-year-old son…would you love him?”
Of course.”
Would you let him skateboard?”
Chartrand did a double take. The camerlengo always seemed oddly “in touch” for a clergyman. “Yeah, I guess,” Chartrand said. “Sure, I’d let him skateboard, but I’d tell him to be careful.”
So as this child’s father, you would give him some basic, good advice and then let him go off and make his own mistakes?”
I wouldn’t run behind him and mollycoddle him if that’s what you mean.”
But what if he fell and skinned his knee?”
He would learn to be more careful.”
The camerlengo smiled. “So although you have the power to interfere and prevent your child’s pain, you would choose to show your love by letting him learn his own lessons?”
Of course. Pain is part of growing up. It’s how we learn.”
The camerlengo nodded. “Exactly.”

Dan Brown
“Science tells me God must exist. My mind tells me I will never understand God. And my heart tells me I am not meant to.”

Dan Brown
“But who is more ignorant? The man who cannot define lightning, or the man who does not respect its awesome power?”

09/23/2012 page 70