Zana's Reviews > Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

F 50x66
Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, library-book, nonfiction
Read from July 09 to August 12, 2011

I tried to read this one several times, but I kept petering out around the second chapter. Thank goodness for books on tape! It's loooooong and it's got masses of information crammed into it, and it's dense and I had to keep replaying sections to catch all the concepts, but this book is totally worth it. I feel like I crammed an entire college course into 20-odd hours of listening. And the way the book is laid out is very logical; it takes you through the concepts methodically so that they become crystal clear.

I want this to be a college course; I want responses to Diamond's thesis! Is geographic determinism really as strong as he believes it is? He touches on non-geographic factors that have shaped world history in the epilogue -- and here is where I very much felt my roots as the child of social scientists; I really wanted him to develop those as methodically as he developed this book.

I'll definitely check out "Collapse"; he's a good writer and it should be fascinating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guns, Germs and Steel.