Susan's Reviews > The Book of Awesome

The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, own-in-book-format, read-in-2011, remarkable-reads, to-re-read
Read from July 09 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy

Oh how I long to snark about The Book of Awesome and its happy-go-lucky message of appreciating the little things, but unfortunately people, I drank the Kool-Aide too and am now extremely busy celebrating the minutiae in life!

The Book of Awesome is (wait for it...) awesome! It is chocked full of awesome-sauce such as "High-fiving babies: because they usually don't leave you hanging;" "Taking off your bra after wearing it for hours;" "Waking up before your alarm and realizing that you've got lots of sleep time yet;" "Popping bubble wrap;" and "The shampoo head massage you sometimes get at the hairdresser."

The most awesome-possum thing in the book though, is "Remembering What Movie That Guy Is From" - my family and I play our own version on that game every time we get together. I kid you not, when I go to my parents' house tomorrow, something like this will happen at some time during the day:

Dad: Have you been watching that show on HBO?

Me: Which show?

Dad: You know, that one with that guy? The guy with the hair?

Sister Sarah: Oh yeah, that hairy guy that was in that movie with the girl that wore that pink dress. What was his name?

Mom: Oh, do you mean Mark Damon?

Sister Sarah: No, the other guy. And it's Matt Damon, Mom.

You people may think I exaggerate but no, I assure you this is exactly what we sound like! And the worst part - we're probably talking about Jim Carey or Tom Cruise - now how is it that we cannot come up with the name of Tom freakin' Cruise? After exhausting the combined power of all four of our memory banks, I will then pull out my trusty iPhone and check IMDB and it is truly awesome to finally get that name!

Neil Pasricha, with the help of his website 1000awesomethings.com, has come up with a book that makes me feel extremely awesome. Identifying with and laughing out loud as Pasricha described tons of awesome things that could have come straight out of my life story probably makes me an incredibly ordinary person, but I don't care. It's enough for me to know that others of you "Sneak McDonald's and Hide the Evidence," "Celebrate your pet's birthday even though they have no idea what's going on," and get an exquisite thrill "When you didn't play the lottery and your numbers didn't come up." We are all so totally awesome!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Awesome.