KarenC's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

2093830
Jul 09, 11

liked it
bookshelves: better_than_tv, bookmarks, police, spies, nordic
Recommended to KarenC by: Bookmarks Magazine
Read from July 02 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Only my second Mankell/Wallander novel, but I found I could follow the story and Wallander's reminiscences easily. I had read the review in Bookmarks Magazine, as well as found Mankell listed in articles recommending good police procedurals. Because I also like spy novels, this book did not disappoint.
The plot was intricate and well-crafted. It included information about Swedish history with which I am unfamiliar, but which sounded plausible. The historical aspects were well-presented and easily woven into the story. Found myself fully engaged and caring about the characters about a quarter of the way in.
Wallander is portrayed as a moody, thoughtful, discerning person who works hard at his job and is determined to solve the case. At this point in his life he is beginning to show signs of age and he is self-conscious about it, preferring avoidance to confrontation. His one bright spot is life is granddaughter Klara and their interactions are poignently described. Being of a similar age, I could relate to Wallander.
I enjoyed Mankell's style and plan to begin with book 1 one day soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.